Filipino Friend Needs Help In Labuan, Malaysia

by Paul Wilson

I met a Filipino girl through an internet chat site and have grown quite fond of each other. She is currently working in Labuan, Malaysia in a karaoke bar. She said she was promised a job waitressing but as you are probably aware this turned out to be false.

Her boss is pressurising her into prostitution. She has been refusing to go with customers at this bar and the other day he hit her. She has told him she wants to go home to the Philippines but he will not let her go and will not let her have her passport back.

Is there anything she can do or contact regarding leaving Labuan? She is basically being held there against her will which in my eyes is a criminal offence. Any help or knowledge you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and hopefully you will be able to give me some information on what to do.

Yours faithfully,
Paul Wilson

P.S. I am a British citizen serving in the British military. I was wondering if you can help or advise me on this situation.

Dom's reply: It is unfortunate that your Filipina friend is in such a difficult situation.

Labuan is an island far away from the capital Kuala Lumpur. But the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur may help. They have rescued Filipino women in similar situation in the past. The contact information is below:

1 Jalan Changkat Kia Peng 50450 Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysiaā€ˇ
Tel.: +60 3 2148-4233, 2148-9989

You can also approach Blas F. Ople Center. It is a non-stock, non-profit organization that rescues, repatriates and helps distressed Overseas Filipino Workers or OFWs.

It's address and contact info:
Unit A 2295 Wycliff Townhomes, Roberts St.
Pasay City, Philippines
Tel. Hotline: +63 2 833-5337

Hope this helps and please update us on the situation of your Filipina friend.

Comments for Filipino Friend Needs Help In Labuan, Malaysia

Click here to add your own comments

You Pay for Your Filipino Friend's Freedom
by: Anonymous

The only safest way to bring these unfortunate girls our of this god forsaken place is by paying the agent's fees which will vary from RM.6000 - RM.10,000.

If you trust the girl, meet her in person and handover the cash to her and ask her to pay and ask the agent to cancel her visa and take her out of there and give her the freedom.

Hope This Helps Your Filipino Friend
by: Anonymous

I'm not sure if your situation is better now. The only thing you can do is go to the embassy. If you're looking for results immediately you can also go to Labuan and purchase the girl's freedom. To my understanding each girl has a contract. They work for 2 years or have to make RM 6000 ($2000 US) before they're allowed to leave.

Filipino Friend in Labuan, Malaysia: I Feel Your Pain
by: Anonymous

My 3rd time there and still appalled at how the Filipino girls are treated. There is one there that I want to buy her freedom. She is in the same situation that you mentioned about the passport and forcing to carry out favours for men. It is all about making money on the girls.

The trouble is that the people that should be protecting the girls are getting kick backs and favours also. Nothing ever happens for them and they are so scared to say anything. They just end up doing their time and going home bitter and twisted.

I think it needs to go to higher than the local police and someone in the Philippines notified as they are all smuggled out of there and smuggled into Labuan.

There is a Philippine police site I just looked at before I read your problem. 25% of the Filipino girls have been doing this type of work for some time and quite used to how they should perform. Though it's the remaining 75% that need the help before bar work stays in their blood and they know no different.

Filipino Friend in Labuan
by: Anonymous

Hi Paul,

Did you find a solution to the Labuan issue? I have a friend in the same situation. She accepted a 'job' there recently and the conditions are appalling. They took her passport from her. I'm trying to find a way to get her back home safely. Was the Philippines Embassy useful in either KL or Brunei?

Hope to hear from you.


Filipina Girl (Labuan)
by: Anonymous

Thank you for your concern to this Filipino girl. I know that you will be blessed by doing so. The best thing you can do is contact the Philippine Embassy in Malaysia and tell them about the girl's problem. I hope they will respond to this problem as soon as possible.

Thank you and God bless.

In behalf of all Filipinos,

Ms. Concerned Person

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Filipinos in Malaysia.

Like this page?

Subscribe to
Overseas Filipinos

Your Email Address

This is safe with me.

Your First Name


Follow Filipino Blog too